Monday, January 30, 2012

Campfire Tales - Beginnings






CAMPFIRE TALES


An Introduction

Noel Laflin


Winter Solstice, 2001



“We are the men of the Camp Ahwahnee Staff,


Our code is women, Lake Arrowhead and graft.


                                    Since we are ready to counsel all you clods,


                                    We had to train super hard to build our bods.


                                    They call us rotten & ugly & uncouth,


                                    And yet we’re still in the flower of our youth,


They pay us practically nothing for the year and             yet,


                                    We’re the greatest staff in all creation,


                                    Someday we will rule the nation,


                                   Don’t you wish we’d gone to summer school?"



Ghosts and History:


It’s been twenty-five years since I last sang the words of the Camp Ahwahnee Staff Song.  But those juvenile lines burn deep within my memory.  It was as if all this time, this grownup life had been but a weekend pass home and the next batch of Scouts were now standing before us at the flagpole assembly area listening to those insane refrains.

There I am - a member of the 'greatest staff in all creation.'  At first glance, I’m seeing myself as a timid youngster, a thirteen-year-old hidden to the far side of the older staff, faking the unfamiliar chorus.  I feel scared.

Blinking my eyes, the lad is older, bolder and obviously more confident in his voice; the words coming easily and comfortably to his lips.  I feel accepted.

Looking again I see a young man in his early twenties now leading the rest of the staff in the song.  He looks to be in charge of things, gesturing for all to sing, a seasoned veteran, quite at home with his surroundings.  I feel happy.

Glancing once more, I now see that the assembly area is deserted.  It is an empty place, bereft of campers, leaders or staff.  A soft, cool wind blows its way through the quiet woods carrying a ghostly tune in its wake.  If you listen closely you can hear the words ever so faintly - now here, by the abandoned mess hall - now there, by the empty pool.  Listen:  'We are the men of the Camp Ahwahnee Staff.'  I feel forgotten.

I spent nine summers working as a Boy Scout camp counselor.  My home away from home was a ninety-minute drive from Southern California’s Anaheim up into the San Bernardino mountain range and more specifically, to Camp Ahwahnee.  Later known as the Ahwahnee Scout Reservation, this four hundred plus-acre parcel of rugged land was one of several prime properties owned and operated by the Orange County Council, Boy Scouts of America.

Summer camp started with 'hell week' (staff only) in late June and concluded at the end of August.  A full-time camp ranger and his wife were permanent residents on the property.  We, the camp staff, were seasonal, changing greatly or sometimes little from summer to summer.  Some faces, like mine, seemed to haunt the land year after year, moving our way up the camp staff totem pole.


Numbering upwards of forty individuals, we ranged in ages from twelve to seventy years old.  The youngsters, or Counselors In Training (CITS), were eager, unpaid Scouts, asked to stay on an extra week or two or three, hoping to capture a full-time paid position if the opportunity presented itself early enough within the season.  The rest of us received meager 'honorariums' starting at five dollars a week all the way up to the top positions that paid little more than a hundred per week. 

Camp Ahwahnee first opened in the summer of 1955.  Previously known as Larry’s Boys Camp, our prime piece of forest was elevated at sixty-seven hundred-feet.  The communities of Running Springs, Arrowbear and Green Valley Lake were its closest neighbors.  U.S. Forestry Land surrounded us and extended our privacy greatly.  Across the road, a YMCA and Campfire Girls camp seemed to protect the area even more.  The land was steep and hilly, a mountain of granite.  At the very eastern edge of the property, known to us as Inspiration Point, the trees suddenly gave way to an expansive view of the desert below.  Sunsets from this vantage point were awe-inspiring.  It was also the kick-off point for the steep downhill hike, two miles below, to Deep Creek


In my opinion, we were beautifully isolated from the world beneath, bathed in sunshine, crisp mountain air and the fragrant aroma of pine and fir.  We were more than a mile above our boring lives 'down below,' as we came to call anywhere but here.  Whether one stayed for the day, week or summer, this place could enchant one’s soul.  It drew me back, year after year for a decade of summers and many winter weekends, when a snowy carpet transformed the landscape.  It still haunts my dreams these many years later.  Why do you think I need to write these words now, if not for its continued spiritual pull on my psyche?  There are many a day and night when my entire being craves to return to this special place, the land of my youth, where star-filled heavens seemed to touch a boy’s outstretched hand and the water which flowed from deep within our mountain tasted sweeter than any wine on earth.  But I digress from this brief history.

The Northern Orange County Council, Boy Scouts of America (rival to the Orange Empire Council and later merged into one giant Orange County Council in the early seventies) first gained title to the land after Larry’s Boys Camp folded.  My earliest memories of Ahwahnee took place in 1959, as my older brother was going to camp. 

Vividly, I remember the long and winding drive up Highway 30, feeling vaguely carsick, as my father drove onward and ever upward.  Suddenly the air cleared as intense blue sky erupted around an unexpected curve.  Desert brush gradually gave way to individual, tough conifers making valiant stands.  These lone, green sentinels eventually merged into forest.  The smell of pine invaded the open windows of the old Ford, filling our station wagon with thin, cool, soothing mountain air.   My nausea ceased.  I knew, instinctively, even at this young age that I had entered a new home of sorts.  We stopped for breakfast at Lloyds in Running Springs; the aroma of freshly baked bread and pastries from the bakery, mixed wonderfully with the crisp mountain air.  Ahwahnee was only five miles away.


I then remember being in the camp itself, holding my mother’s hand, as we climbed a steep and dusty dirt road within the forest.  I was told, years later, that we had gone to the official dedication of camp.  I’ve seen an old black-and-white photo of my mother and me at the scene.  I was six-years-old.  It was my first trip to Ahwahnee.  I believe something crept into my soul that very day, directing my movement back to this land a decade later.


I have had many years to reflect upon the Ahwahnee summers.  There are a few thousand memories to sort, categorize and play through again and again. Some will be shared over time.  Some quickly discarded.  Others are lost and long forgotten, I fear.  Nonetheless, I will give it a try, putting some of these tales on paper.  It’s going to be a long process, I think.  That’s all right.  It took a bit of time to acquire them all anyway.  I hope I can draw for you, dear reader, a decent picture of Camp Ahwahnee and some of its inhabitants.  'I will do my best,' as the old motto once instructed me to do. 


So, throw another log on the campfire and make yourself comfortable upon that old tree stump.  It’s going to be a long night of storytelling.

       




                          








           



17 comments:

  1. Noel,

    John Foley here. Summer of 1971, Winter of 1972

    626-332-4961

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my grandfather was park camp ranger there FRANK D MOORE

      Delete
  2. WOW!! What a trip. Searched Ahwanee on a whim and can't believe all the sites I found! Was on staff in '69-'70 and again as Highlands commissioner in 1978. Although I am no longer a "rider of the night" I still consider myself one of "Herzberg's Boys"
    ~Unclescotty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Scott. Good to see you here. There is a mini reunion at the old camp (now Calvary Christian Camp - they bought the property 25 years ago) on Sunday, Aug. 2 from 1-4pm. All are welcome to come up. We have about 30-40 folks indicating they will be there, including 2 Herzbergs, Greg Richards, Brent Farlie, Jeff Vaughn, Jim Donovan, Peaslee, Fred La Velle, me, etc. Come on up if you are in the area. Thanks for the note here. There is a Camp Ahwahnee Facebook page too. All are welcome to join this open group. There are about 20 tales specifically related to camp. It was the telling of this first one that got the whole thing going in my brain some 15 years ago.

      Delete
    2. I know this is old but what a surprise. I worked there in 1967 (dish washer) and 1968 Michael Dunning 3rd cook)

      Delete
    3. I remember Fred La Velle had to takes his diabetic shots in the mess hall rest room

      Delete
  3. BSA Troop 81, Cerritos, Ca. 1965, one of the Best weeks of my life! I still have the Camp Post Card I sent my folks. I remember the Camp Bugular playing "The Stripper" over the P.A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I remember being a firekeeper all night long in the late 60's! I loved that Camp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Announcements, announcements, announcements - heck of a way to die a heck of a way to die, a heck of a way to talk to death a heck of a way to die! Anybody remember that? Our troop sang that everyday at assembly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always camped at Frank Hay Campground.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noel- I don't know if you remember me. I worked one summer in 1970 at the pool after my freshman year at UC Irvine. I had worked several summers before at a scout camp in Northern California near my home in Sacramento. I remember Mr. Hertzberg fondly, he was a good guy. As I recall the full time ranger was an older fellow name Gene. I returned to the area in 2014 when my daughter was attending one of the Claremont Colleges. I could not believe how much things have changed. I want to say that you worked in the nature lodge, but I could be mistaken. Let me know if any of this sounds familiar.
    Rick Weisberg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Noel - I was a visiting scout with Troop 671 out of Los Alamitos, visiting during the early-mid 70's. I have a _crystal clear_ memory of you doing a fireside skit involving the repeated term "footage! footage!" while you pretended to operate a movie camera. Priceless. Thanks for being both mildly insane, incredibly entertaining, and infinitely, indelibly you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Camp Staff 71 - 72. Dinning hall steward and 3d cook. Best first job anyone could ever have. Great Camp and I supervised a great crew

    Bill Ressegue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Noel,

    I hope this finds you well!

    Rick Baker here. My first day at Camp Ahwahnee, 1968, I almost drowned in the pool. That night the Scoutmaster's had their meeting in the Lounge. We were raiding each other's tents and Ian Fallen shoved me out his and David Butler's tent. I tumbled out and hit my head on a rock. I had a concussion and was taken to the Hospital in that Ambulance that was at Camp. I think Bruce was the Driver. I threw up in it! (LOL!)

    The next morning I woke up in the Scoutmaster's Lounge and you were on the other couch. You stayed with me all night to make sure I was okay.

    That's how my 5 Summer's of Camp Ahwahnee began. The first 3 years I was with Troop 471. Richard Baker Sr. (my Dad), Don Farris, Bob Sanchez, David Butler, Ian Fallen, Ernie Valdez, Carl Schonfield, Greg Upton were some of the names. The next 2 were with Troop 405 included Alan Cota, Jeff Hotchkiss, Ronny Delphi and myself.

    Lupin the Donkey, Gene Bergner, the Critter Crawl, the Log Chomping competition, the Mess Hall, being a Fire Keeper with Jeff Hotchkiss for 24 hours, the Tepee, the Log Cabin you and 3 other Consolers had built, Jeff Vaughn, Larry (the Archery Counselor), and other Faces I can see but their names escape me.

    You spoke at my Eagle Court of Honor at Glen H. Dysinger Elementary School in Buena Park in 1976. In fact, you told the story of my Concussion and that's how we met.

    My time at Camp with you, the rest of the Staff and my Troops are such strong and vivid memories that everything you described in your introduction brought them out in all of my senses.

    Thank you for everything and God Bless!

    PS If you would like to connect my email is qdpllc@gmail.com. I hope you do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my grandfather FRANK D' MOORE was the ranger at camp awanee for years and i visited twice a year with my grandparents --lost of memories growing up there in green valley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Camp Kitchen Staff 1971 and 1972. First as dinning hall steward and then 3d cook. First year I made $35/week and the next year $70. Learned a lot, had a great time and made new friends. Of course this led to my very first real job as a short order cook at Sambo's .

    ReplyDelete